Soul Superfly Mk.I-B Upgrade Kit
Soul Superfly Mk.I-B Upgrade Kit
$200 refund with the safe return of the old FRD drivers and tweeter assemblies. This service is only available direct from Zu. Those living outside the U.S. will simply email firstname.lastname@example.org to coordinate shipping
You have the original Soul Superfly and want the new drivers and tweeter? Here it is. Soul Superfly is now fitted with our high-output nanotech driver and revised tweeter high-pass network. The new version is marked as I-B [Mk.I-B (mark one bee)].
The most important element of a loudspeaker is the driver—the round part that vibrates and turns electric power into sound. And when a loudspeaker is built around a full-range driver like ours it makes the driver all that much more critical. Soul Superfly Mk.I-B has one very big difference over it’s predecessor, it features the Dominance developed nanotech high-output driver. There are no other changes but the difference is pretty huge—more resolution of bass, mids and treble, more resolution of tone and texture, and better dynamic handling of complex music.
Soul Superfly Mk.i-B is Identified By
- The revision Mk.I-B nameplate on the back of the speaker.
- The engraved model number in the full-range driver.
What’s In The Kit
1x Matched pair of Zu103ND/G1-16 drivers (high-output paper-cored nanotech 10” full- range drivers factory burned-in for 600 peddle to the metal hours).
1x Matched pair of tweeter driver assemblies complete with installed and plug and play ready ClarityCap MR based Soul Superfly high-pass networks.
1x Purpose built packaging. To ensure the safe return of your old drivers you must repackage the old ones the same way the new ones were packaged. If they’re not, and damage results you will not receive a refund.
Clean workspace; a blanket over coffee table is perfect.
T-25 screwdriver (not included).
#1 square-drive screwdriver (not included).
How It’s Done
This is a very easy swap, and no soldering is required.
- Make sure you are button, snaps, belt buckle and wristwatch free.
- Switch off your electronics and disconnect your speaker cables.
- With a clean work space and a clean blanket or rug, lay it down with drivers facing up.
- Careful not to poke a hole in the cone or surround, remove the full-range driver fasteners.
- Remove the full-range machined trim ring and sit it aside.
- Grab hold of the machined center cylinder of the driver and lift it up, or use the rim.
- With it just clear of the cabinet cradle the driver from the backside with your other hand.
- Remove leads by gently rocking the connector longitudinally and pulling.
- After all leads are disconnected from the full-range driver set it off to the side.
- Remove the four #1 square-drive screws securing the tweeter assembly.
- Reach through the main driver hole and push the tweeter assembly out of the cabinet using your free hand to lift it clear.
- Install new tweeters and fasten; a snug torque on the screws is enough.
- Now move the FRD into position, connect red to + tab on the driver then fit the FRD.
Torque The Full-Range Driver
First pass around, gently torque the screws.
Second pass around, torque firmly; using standard screwdriver and one hand.
Third pass around, torque as tightly as you can; using standard screwdriver and one hand (80 inch pounds [9 N-m]).
Repackage Old Drivers
Repack the old drivers exactly like you received them. Use the hard gasket between the two drivers. Use the same fasteners. Torque the screw with a 3/16” hex screwdriver or a T-25 screwdriver. Send them back for refund.
About The Nature And Intent Of Soul Superfly Mk.I-B
Why a 16 ohm loudspeaker in today’s market? Because there are still hundreds of amp models being made today that will sound their best on a loudspeaker that presents an easy-going 16 ohm load to the amplifier.
Soul Superfly is our single-minded response to the needs of users of amplifiers that benefit from friendly 16 ohm loudspeakers. That list of amps includes most vintage amps, and any modern amp that is, or can be optimized for a 16 ohm loudspeaker—single-ended triode (SET) vacuum tube amps, output-transformerless (OTL) vacuum tube amps, some solid-state like some of the First Watt models, and even many of the mid-fi Japanese receivers. Yes, there are advantages for a high impedance loudspeaker. Our design target from the outset was focused on extracting every last bit of tone and texture of such amps while getting even better power and definition out of the system.