Omen is a high performance yet affordable loudspeaker that will deliver great sound in almost any space and gets along with almost any amplifier or receiver. Omen is also built to last a lifetime: cabinet material, adhesives, driver assemblies; every component is a quality part, creating a loudspeaker system that will continually satisfy and amaze, decade after decade.
Price is for a matched pair.
Zu Custom Shop
- If you have an idea, we can probably make it happen
- Custom gloss, matte, veneer available
- Custom color anodized driver rings and tweeter lenses available
- Inquire for pricing, options, and lead-time
Omen Mk.I-B is the same as the original with a few nice differences and one huge. Mark-one-bee is fitted with our nanotech sanctified composite paper cored cone. This new 10” full-range driver uses the same great Zu260 motor assembly, and when combined with these new nanometer materials and lay up gives the perfect combination of classic Zu tone and resolving transparency. The change in capacitors is also a pretty healthy step forward in treble resolution, switching from the PulseX to the ClartiyCap MR. And then the revision in the tweeter high-pass network for better transparency and blending of our Omen series nanotech full-range driver and ClartiyCap MR. Tolerances between matched pair have also tightened up for even better stereophonic realism; now .5% match on drivers and 0.1% on all other electrical parts. To cap it off, 600 hours of high intensity factory burn-in.
“The Omen’s [Mk.I-A] have wildly exceeded my expectations. Initially my plan was to have the Omen’s in a second system. After a week of breaking them in it became apparent they were a very special speaker. I ended up selling my main speakers which were Stereophile B rated speakers featuring tweeter, midrange and three woofers in each tower.
The dynamics and integration of the Omen’s is amazing. In the present system they have a fair bit of power going in. Bryston 4B SST amplifier bench tested at 324 watts into 8 ohms per channel. The old speakers went down to 18 hz and while the Omen’s don’t go that low there seems to be much more bass than the advertised 35hz. I listen to all kinds of music and the Omen’s have been great. Especially noteworthy was the Omen’s on some Japanese mono Kink’s Pye reissues.” —Bob Fifik
Omen delivers on the performance all that Zu driver goodness and machined aluminum suggests. Omen is also Zu’s first standardized high-volume loudspeaker—the only way to get this level of quality, performance, and good looks at such a small price. Our loudspeaker-driver, machine work, cabinetry, finish, assembly, packaging, all done right here in Ogden, Utah.
With Zu’s no questions asked 60-day satisfaction guarantee, you must give Omen a listen. Play your music, be it Buddy Holly, pre Vegas Elvis, or Sword.... Omen is the right speaker for every concert fanatic, music junky and extreme sports lunatic; because splitting your cash between your lifestyle outside and your lifestyle inside just got a whole lot louder!
Omen Quick Specs
Height: 36” [91.5cm]
Footprint: 12 x 12” [30.5 x 30.5cm]
Weight: 53 pounds [24kg] each
Bandwidth: 35 – 25kHz
Efficiency: 97 dB-SPL 1W, 1m
Impedance: 12 ohm
Power Amp Range: 4 – 300 watt
Made by us in our home town of Ogden, Utah—U.S.A.
Our Driver And Acoustic Technology
Omen, like all Zu products, is built around the critical human voice (A1, 55Hz, through A6 and all the possible harmonics, to approximately 12kHz). Serving this critical region of tone is Zu’s 5th generation 260 standard motor 10.3” [260mm] nanotech/paper composite full-range driver. In addition to a very large motor assembly and nanotech/paper comp cone, the driver also features a cast aluminum basket and machined from billet center pole. We only use the finest adhesives and binders to ensure consistency, toughness and a very long life. The result of decades of engineering and refinement that have gone into our full-range driver—with roots going back to 1934 and the prolific Harry Olson and RCA—is a deep, full and dynamically right sound, where the tweeter section is only used to give that last bit of sparkle and resolution on the top of the presence/treble band (12kHz and up). And we designed/refined our FRD to work within our ZuGriewe box/acoustic loading technology. Combined in Omen Mk.I-B you get a loudspeaker that is lightning-quick yet still lays down loads of tone density. The system is consistent and linear in its resolution and dynamic behavior—from bass through treble. ZuGriewe delivers increased efficiency in the bass range and reduces noise and distortion, a design that outperforms bass-reflex or acoustic suspension models. Our technology reduces internal acoustic noise from within the cabinet and couples more tightly the high acoustic impedance of the driver cone to the low acoustic impedance of the room. So you get improved bass drum thwack, techno beat hit, thunder-broom shove, snare pop, guitar tone, fiddle bite and burnish... and all able to scale and span even the most demanding and complex recordings (particularly when matched with a great subwoofer like our Undertone). And yeah, voice always sounds human, real and present.
Cabinet Work And Material Pallet
Omen Mk.I-B is made from North American high density composite wood plate (Comp-60), machined on state-of-the-art CNC mills. Omen uses real wood veneer laid-up and pressed at the plywood factory and not glued after assembly. This ensures your finish will not lift or warp, and it yields the flattest surfaces and tightest seams. For glue, it’s Titebond III, for the highest joint strength and a lifetime of unfailing, moisture-proof service.
Switching from standard polypro capacitors to the premium ClarityCap MR caps has made a healthy improvement in resolution and transparency. Omen’s hook-up wires are cross-linked PE / low strand count pure copper conductors, terminated with Panduit disconnects that are high-pressure crimped in made-to-spec Panduit dies for the best sound and longest life. Binding posts are machined from a single piece of bar stock and the male disconnect tab is machined right into it. The tweeter’s high-pass is a simple single-order network. The super-tweeter is time-aligned and features a phenolic dome for smooth detailed treble. The tweeter lens is machined from 6061-T6—the massive chunk of machined billet adding damping and rigidity to the tweeter driver assembly.
Omen Mk.I-B are top coated with UV protecting premium grade conversion varnish. All finish work is done in Zu’s custom finish shop.
Tips On Getting Great Sound From OMEN
Omen Mk.I-B loudspeakers get 600 hours of high-intensity factory burn-in to ensure they will sound great within just a week or so of regular play. Nevertheless, if they are transported in cold weather, they take several days to “warm up” and return to giving you their best.
Make sure you have 1/4” [6mm] or so gap between the bottom of the loudspeakers and the floor. The finger ports are part of the ZuGriewe box loading technology. They are not ports as used in a bass-reflex design (Helmholtz resonators in all their forms) but the finger ports do need to see the acoustic space of the room. Blocking them turns Omen into an interesting but “sealed” design.
Omen has been designed to account for its shorter stature. Placing its full-range 10” driver on top and then time-aligning the super tweeter to “tilt” the sound in a slight upward direction allows Omen to sound larger and taller than it is. Users can also adjust the feet in the Omen to lean the speaker back, further tailoring the sound and loudspeakers integration with the room.
- In addition to the installed ball-end footers (for use with hard surface flooring), Omen also ship with spikes to be used to punch through and anchor the speaker through carpets and rugs.
- 1/4” [6mm] gap or greater is needed between Omen bottom and floor. “Finger ports” on bottom of Omen cannot be obstructed.
- Remove the protective plastic shipping disc covering the full-range driver. Yes, there have been a few times “speakers didn’t sound right” just to find out the full-range shipping discs were still in place.
- Spikes are included and must be used for carpet or rug situations. Hard surface ball-end feet are pre-installed.
- Turn your electronics off before disconnecting and connecting your loudspeakers.
- Connect Omen and amplifier RED to RED | BLACK to BLACK.
- Position left and right Omen symmetrically (classic stereo arrangement but wider) for best stereophonic playback.
- Point Omen directly at central listing seat for greatest intimacy. Point Omen directly forward for less treble and more diffused playback. Typically we recommend that they point at a spot just a few feet behind the center seat position.
- Adjust baffle cant (lean) to change playback presentation, this is done by adjusting the front feet to be taller and the rear to be shorter.
- Experiment with placement to get best sound.
- You don’t want to mess up this finish—wash your hands and make sure you are button, snap, buckle, and jewelry free before you handle.
- If you have a bad back or are accident prone please get help when moving and positioning your Omen loudspeakers.
- Omen loudspeaker drivers create magnetic fields that extend far beyond the boundaries of the cabinet. We recommend you keep magnetically sensitive electronics and media at least 2 feet [60cm] from the loudspeaker.
- Omen loudspeakers are capable of very high sound levels (just so you know you can). Consider playing with caution, play responsibly.
Thanks for your interest, and please don’t hesitate to call or email, we love what we do and we are here to help.